Sunday, March 16, 2008

Making Traven Legal


On Friday morning, the date finally arrived for going to court and making the adoption legal and binding. We met before Judge Laycock over in Provo. It was a very unique experience.


We arrived at 8:20 am and went into the court house. As soon as the guards realized we were there for an adoption, they just waved us through the metal detectors. We went up to the 2nd floor and met up with our lawyer, Paul MacArthur. Paul and his staff were outstanding throughout the entire process. They were extremely helpful, very informed and on top of all matters pertaining to the adoption.


At 8:30 am, the doors opened and we went into the judges court room. The recorder was there, busily doing about 5 things at once on her computer, and the bailiff was there. In walked the judge, we all stood up, then Lori and I were sworn in as witnesses. There was a very formal process as the judge acknowledged she had reviewed all the documents and they were entered into the official record.


It was then time for Paul to ask us some questions. They were all very easy - basically making sure we realized we were both taking over legally as Traven's family and severing any ties he had to his birth parents. This part felt strange to me, as I have felt like Traven was officially in the family for months. It was a series of easy questions.


The one question I enjoyed the most was the last one, asking me to share my feelings about him with the court. I love him, every bit as much as the other kids, which is TONS! To me, he just fits right into the family. I can't imagine life without him. He seems to bring out the best in all of us.

No comments: