Sunday, June 27, 2021

Mexico 2021

For years, I have been hesitant about traveling outside of the country. To be honest, I wasn't crazy about the trip we took to New York. But after hearing Alyssa and Dallin talk about their honeymoon to the Cancun area, and when I saw my entire family was sold on the idea, I finally put on my big boy pants and said I'd go. No regrets.

Some of us met early Saturday morning in Mapleton for the drive to the airport. Despite a couple of small hiccups, we all arrived safely in Mexico. In total, our party consisted of Glenn, Allison, Eric, Aubrie, Eli, Anni and Caleb; Mike, Lori, Kaylee, Jason, Alyssa, Dallin, Traven; Eric and Sally; Renato, Emily and Olivia;  and Kassidi and Russell. I was sad Braden and his family could not join us, along with Jeremy and his family. Someday, we will all take a trip together again!

The experience of going through Mexican and US customs were both new to most of us, but it honestly went smoothly. It was invaluable to have Alyssa with us. With her travel experience and Spanish skills, she was simply amazing. I think she felt a lot of pressure, as EVERYONE turned to her as the expert, but she wore the crown well!

Cancun was hot and humid. Some of us (I'm looking at you Kaylee) kind of hated it. And some of us (Traven) looked like we were born and raised there. Man, that boy can sure tan up nicely!

The check-in process at Bahia Principe Akumal was SLOW. Incredibly slow. But after about a half hour, we all had our wrist bands and were set. We didn't even go to our rooms first, but headed to the buffet for some much needed nourishment.

The resort seemed to work well for all of us. I had no idea how HUGE it was. They actually had shuttles (oversized golf carts) to transport people to their rooms, the other resorts and the Hacienda (small area with shops, a pharmacy and Covid testing). As a traveling party, we were really spread out. The one thing I didn't like was that I hardly saw some family members. It seemed to work well to keep parties no larger than 4 rooms together. We were in building 52. 52! It was so big, and Akumal was one of three properties in the Bahia Principe family that were all joined together. It never felt crowded, though. 

I think Eric and Sally had fun. As the oldest members of our party, I worried the most about them. But I know Sally enjoyed the seafood, and Eric seemed to be doing wonderful.



The food options were great. You could make one dinner reservation a day to the nicer restaurants. One of my main regrets was that we didn't do this sooner. We missed out on the most popular ones. But we were able to partake in some great seafood, Italian food, Japanese cuisine, etc. We could choose from the buffet at each of the three resorts (Koba and Tulum were the other two). There was also a snack bar, which was really just a smaller buffet. Room service was also available and included.

Sunday, we relaxed and swam. We played a lot of pool volleyball. 

I don't know what everyone else did, but Monday, I went fishing! Man, it was so much fun. We caught a lot of fish. Kassidi got a bit scared, and Traven had some sea sickness, but I would definitely do this again. My favorite moment was when I was battling a Mahi Mahi while Dallin was reeling in a different fish. Our fishing guides really knew their stuff! I was amazed and how they could keep working, while the seas were very choppy. They were moving the entire time, working up to 7 fishing poles at a time. Just incredible.



Tuesday was supposed to be snorkeling, but the ocean was not cooperating. Instead, it ended up as another day of swimming and relaxing.

Wednesday, Glenn and his family headed to see the ruins. Most of the rest of us went on an excursion that included riding ATVs, zip lines, jumping into a cenote, and experiencing a Mayan ritual.

Thursday, we caught the shuttle at 3:30 am to the airport. It was a LONG day. Traven lost his phone, which we found in his bathroom bag when we got home!

All in all, I would definitely do this again. Among the entire family, we were able to do the following:

  • Swimming
  • Pool volleyball
  • Snorkeling at the beach
  • Beach time
  • ATVs
  • Swimming in a cenote
  • Watching a Mayan prayer ritual
  • Seeing Mayan ruins
  • Zip lines
  • So. Much. Food.
  • Fishing
  • Shopping
  • Lots of non-alcoholic mixed drinks


  • Dancing
  • Entertainment shows
  • A game room, with pool, foosball and video games
  • Swimming (lots and lots of different pools)
  • Water parks (ask Emily for the details!)


No comments: